I love to refinish furniture and have wanted to try and do something different with a piece of furniture from Ikea. I really liked the white LACK coffee table but didn’t want to pay $50 for it, so I found one on Kijiji for $20.
I was planning on purchasing some 1×4′s from Home Depot, sanding them, staining them and then glue/screw them to the top. I went to Home Depot and was not too impressed with the quality of the 1×4′s there and didn’t want to pay $30 for the premium 1×4′s. I decided to check Habitat for Humanity Restore and found some Cedar Siding that I cut to size for $8 (ended up only using half…so really only $4).
I went to Walmart to purchase some heavy duty adhesive and ended up getting it FREE because of the Scanning code of practice I glued the wood to the top of the table, clamped it and put a heavy box on top then let it cure for 24 hours.
I then sanded it down, wiped it down and coated it with Ikea Behandla glaze that I had from a previous project.
A beautiful new coffee table for $28! (or $24 if you count the fact that I didn’t use all the wood)
Do you have any ideas for great Ikea Hacks? Let me know!
A couple months ago I fell in love with a beige peacoat, it had beautiful gold buttons….but cost about $450!!! Here it is:
I could not spend that amount of money on a jacket so I decided to try to re-create it using a cheaper peacoat. Old Navy had an online sale, the coat was $64.94 reg. on sale for $45 – 25% off coupon = $33.75!! Then I went to Fabricland and picked up six lovely gold buttons for $6 and BAM! Turned this:
I saved over $400!!
I have been thinking of making some changes to my eating habits, I really wanted to cut out the snacking on junk food, cut out pop and cut down on the caffeine. I had also been interested in trying a juice cleanse so I thought now would be a good time to try it and that it would be a great way to kick start better eating habits.
I got my husband on board as he wanted to try it also, so I started to look into it. I found a few different places that sold the juices you needed for the cleanse, most of which cost between $150-$200 each for a 3 day cleanse! If my husband and I were to both buy a cleanse that $300-$400!!! I figured I could make them myself for much less. I figured this would also make a great blog post since I would be able to show how you can do the cleanse for so much less by making the juices yourself.
Here’s how it went…Saturday I went out and purchased all the ingredients that the recipes indicated that we would need. It was modeled after the Blueprint Juice Cleanse and required the following (per person):
- 15 ribs of celery
- 3 cucumbers
- 15 green apples
- 9 kale leaves
- 9 lemons
- 15 oz raw cashews
- 1 bunch parsley
- 9 romaine leaves
- 1-2 bunches spinach
- 1 pineapple
- 1 bunch mint
- 9 beets
- 9 large carrots
- 1 piece of ginger
- 1 bottle lemon juice
- agave nectar
- cayenne pepper
- 1 case water
- vanilla extract
Some of the items like cayenne pepper and cinnamon I already had at home, but I went out and purchased everything on Saturday for a total cost of $68.60. Here is what happened next:
- Saturday: Got home with the ingredients needed and started juicing around dinner time….3 hours later I had finished juicing the 3 juices that needed to be juiced but still had 2 others that needed to be made, one blended and another just mixed. Also washed all the dishes, including all the juicer pieces (which took forever!).
- Sunday: Got up ready and excited to start the cleanse.
- Green Juice: The first juice was the Green Juice which consisted of celery, cucumber, apples, kale, parsley, romaine, spinach and lemon juice…..I could barely get it down. I did not like it one bit! My husband didn’t think it was bad and drank the whole thing….I drank half while plugging my nose and left the rest.
- P.A.M: The second juice was the P.A.M juice which consisted of pineapple, apples and mint. This one was really good, no problem getting it down. I was starting to feel a little hungry by this point so I grabbed a stick of sugar free gum to chew on hoping that it would trick me into thinking I was eating. We also didn’t have enough fruits/veggies for tomorrows juice so I went out and spent another $28.26 on the things we would need for the next day.
- Green Juice: The third juice was the Green Juice again…..I forced myself to drink the rest of the first one, plugging my nose again. I started to get a headache and was feeling pretty tired by this point. I started the juices we would need for the next day and spent another 3 hours making them and another 1 or so cleaning the juicer and everything!!
- Spicy Lemonade: The fourth juice was the Spicy Lemonade which consisted of water, juiced lemons, cayenne pepper and agave nectar. It was sour, but really wasn’t that bad. I drank the whole thing. Was still feeling pretty tired, still had a headache and my son decided not to nap that day…so my husband and I were both hungry, feeling sick and irritable.
- C.A.R: The fifth juice was the C.A.R juice which consisted of apples, beets, carrots, ginger and lemon juice. I could not tell you what it tasted like….I could not get past the smell. I decided I would skip this one and go straight for the last one since it was getting late in the evening anyways. My husband gave up at this point, he was still feeling sick, hungry and irritable so he broke down and ate something for dinner. I was feeling light headed but decided to tough it out.
- Cashew Milk: The sixth “juice” was Cashew Milk which consisted of raw cashews, water, agave nectar, cinnamon and vanilla extract. This one tasted great, it was a little gritty but felt very nourishing after having had only juice all day. By this point I was feeling nauseous and couldn’t finish the Cashew Milk, I also still had a headache so I went to bed early with zero energy.
- Monday: The next morning I woke up still feeling tired and sick, the thought of trying to down the first drink of the day (which was the Green Juice) made my stomach churn….so I broke down and had a bowl of cereal. That’s when I gave up, I had no energy to keep up with my kids, felt sick, had a headache, was out of apples so would have to purchase more fruit in order to continue for another day and I didn’t have another 3 hours to spend on Monday to make more juice!
I really admire anyone who can do this long term, I had done a similar cleanse years ago but I found with young children in the house I just didn’t have the energy, money, time or patience to keep it going. I had hoped that this blog would be about how I had succeeded in doing a 3 day juice cleanse for way less than if I’d purchased it….I spent $98.86 in total, and would have had to go out and purchase more fruit in order to continue for the third day. I could not stomach the veggie juices, the fruit and nut ones were good…but so time consuming to make. I would rather just make smoothies! They say that feeling sick is part of the cleansing process but it is very difficult to care for your children or go to work when you are feeling that way. In a way I failed, but I think it’s really made me want to make other changes in order to achieve my goals. I have stopped drinking pop, cut down my caffeine consumption and am making better choices when it comes to what I eat for meals/snacks. I also hope to start excising more regularly, likely at the gym since the weather will start to be colder.
Have any of you had good/bad experiences with juicing? Or cleansing?
Joe Fresh is having a fantastic clearance sale and Labour Day Sale. Save up to 70% off Clearance items! (Note: These items are final sale)
Here are some of the great deals I found:
- Womens’ Slim Raw Jeans – Reg. $39 on for $2.94
- Womens’ Boyfriend Tee – Reg. $16 on for $3.94
- Womens’ Slub V-Neck Tee – Reg. $12 on for $3.94
- Mens’ Short Sleeve Shirt – Reg. $29 on for $4.94
- Mens’ Crew Neck Slub Tee – Reg. $14 on for $4.94
- Girls’ Scoop Neck Tank – Reg. $6 on for $1.94
- Girls’ Print Baseball Cap – Reg. $8 on for $1.94
- Boys’ Reversible Bucket Hat – Reg. $7 on for $1.94
- Boys’ Print Beach Shoes – Reg. $8 on for $3.94
- Boys’ Print Woven Shorts – Reg. 12 on for $3.94
- Toddler Girls’ Tank – Reg. $5 on for $1.94
- Toddler Girls’ Graphic Tie Tee – Reg. $8 on for $1.94
- Toddler Girls’ Floral Swimsuit – Reg. $10 on for $2.94
- Toddler Boys’ Photo Print Tank – Reg. $6 on for $1.94
- Toddler Boys’ Beach Print Swim Trunk – Reg. $8 on for $1.94
- Toddler Boys’ Poplin Shorts – Reg. $10 on for $2.94
- Baby Girls’ Glitter Graphic One Piece – Reg. $6 on for $1.94
- Baby Girls’ Shorts – Reg. $5 on for $1.94
- Baby Girls’ Tropical Flared Tank, Reg. $6 on for $1.94
- Baby Boys’ Soft Shorts, Reg. $6 on for $1.94
- Baby Boys’ Beach Tank, Reg. $6 on for $1.94
So many deals! I can’t post them all!
Or use code LABOURDAY25 to get 25% off Regular priced items! Shipping is FREE if you spend $50 or more, so stock up now!
Was over at the Zehrs at the Laurentian Power Center (Kitchener) today and found a fantastic deal while shopping. They have a bunch of baby/toddler/kid girls summer hats on clearance for $0.24!!
Not sure what they will have left! Stock up now!
K-W POMBA is having a children’s used clothing, toys and equipment sale on Saturday, September 26th, 2015. It is being held at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
A Non-perishable food donation will be accepted on behalf of the Food Bank in lieu of $2.00 per adult Admission (cash only).
Bingemans is having The Parent Bazaar Mom 2 Mom Sale on Sept. 12th
Time: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m
Date: Sept. 12th, 2015
Place: Bingemans FunworX (not the Convention Centre) – 425 Bingemans Centre Drive, Kitchener.
Cost: $2 Entrance fee
This is by far the best of the best Mom 2 Mom sales, at one of the previous ones I went to I scored an entire Pottery Barn Crib bedding set for $20!!!
Check out the details HERE!
Haven’t posted in such a long time! Figured I had to after this last shopping trip
Here’s what I got:
- Kleenex 6 pk., Reg. $10.77 ea. (x2=$21.54), Price matched Zehrs $3.99 ea. – $0.75 coupon = $3.24 (x2 = $6.48)
- Sponge Towel Paper Towel 6 pk., Reg. $7.97 (x2=$15.94), Price matched Zehrs $3.99 – $0.75 coupon = $3.24 (x2= $6.48)
- Johnsonville Sausage, Reg. $4.88 (x4 = $19.52), Price matched Giant Tiger $1.98 (x4 = $7.92)
- Orajel Kids Toothpaste, Reg. $3.77 – $1.00 coupon = $2.77
- Reese Sticks, Reg. $3.86
- Jergens Body Lotion, Reg. $4.97 – FREE coupon = FREE
- Pantene Dry Shampoo, Reg. $4.46 – FREE coupon = FREE
Total before savings: $74.06
Total after savings: $27.51
That’s a savings of $46.60 or 63%
I found some fantastic deals on DaySpring.com!
They have a Faith & Friendship Sale where you buy one item and get the other one FREE! It only applies to select merchandise, but no coupon code is required as the item with the lower value with automatically be updated to $0.00 once you add it to your cart.
Also, if that’s not good enough, they are also offering 35% one item from the Mother’s Day Category by using code MOTHER35
Here are some of the great finds in the Mother’s Day Category (NOTE: You can only use the coupon code for one item):
Lisa Leonard – Gold Bar Mama Necklace, Reg. $52 – 35% = $33.80 (I love love love this item!!!)
Faith, Hope & Love – Block Print Scarf – Blue, Reg. $25 – 35% = $16.25
Motherhood – Book and Perpetual Calendar Gift Set, Reg. $26.98, on for $19.99 – 35% = $12.99
Crystal Paine – Say Goodbye to Survival Mode, Reg. $22.99, on for $19.99 – 35% = $12.99
And here are some great finds from the Buy 1 get 1 Free Items:
Joy – Letterpress Block Set, Reg. $27 (I LOVE all of these letterpress block sets!!)
Sisters – Jumbo Mug, Reg. $16
Only downside is that the prices are all in US dollars and the items ship from the States, shipping is a little pricey so likely only worth it if you are purchasing a few items.
Amazing deals today only at Sears.ca! Plus use coupon code 941612175 to get an additional 20% off!
Here are some highlights:
Big Backyard by Solowave® ‘Goldenridge’ Deluxe Playground, Reg. $1499.99, on for $1099.99 – 20% off = $879.99
Little Tikes® ‘Castle Adventures’ Sandbox, Reg. $59.99, on for $41.99 – 20% = $33.59
Little Tikes® ‘Cape Cottage’ Play House, Reg. $149.99, on for $104.99 – 20% = $83.99
Step 2® ‘Splash & Scoop Bay’ With 42” Umbrella, Reg. $89.99, on for $62.99 – 20% = $50.39
Shop HERE now because this sale is on for today only! Sadly we still have tons of work to do on the backyard otherwise I’d be all over that Playground Sorry kids.